Monday, January 2, 2012

The Quonset Warehouse

So, in my usual approach to this Blog, here is another structure that was made earlier than any of the others posted!  It's a Clever Models' Quonset hut that will be used as a military warehouse on the Blacktop Crossing layout.


My 7-year old grandson likes military, his train started all of this, SO we'll need to include the military.  The Armory here in Rock Hill, SC, actually HAS two Quonset huts in the rear of the lot, so this seems to fit the model location fine.  We may have to do something to "date" the military vehicles back to the 1950's!!

The hut is from cardstock and was my first attempt with this "medium".  I found it challenging but rewarding.  From a few feet away, the hut looks pretty good.  I was amazed at how well most of the parts fit together.  I could not believe that the roll-up door chain drive cover could really be made from cardstock with its many folds.  But, the creasing of the cardstock at the proper places ensured that it went together well.  I was using 80-lb cardstock on this model and ran into some issues on the large door on the side (I guess it's a drop-down door/ramp; I'll have to look into this so I'll know where to put the structure in relationship to track, road, etc.).  The door "frame" required some compound folds and the cardstock seemed a bit too thick.  I've since gone to mostly 65-lb cardstock which seems to work better.

I took my grandson by the Armory to see their Quonset huts, and while the view was a bit distant I think he got the point:  the hut fits the use and scene!?!  I also mentioned that my 8th grade classroom in Panama City, FL was a Quonset hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment