Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Little Deuce Coupe

Well, what's the sense in having a blacktop highway (crossing or not) if you don't have some cars to race on it?  With deference to "American Graffiti", I've used their two car "stars" as models for mine.  The black '55 Chevy was not too tough to get -- die-cast models can be found easily on the Internet.  I believe mine came from Model Power.  It came as two-tone, black and white BelAir.  I painted the white, black.  I haven't done much with the BelAir, but I'm pretty sure Graffiti's was a 150.  Maybe I'll fix that as well as put a hood scoop on it at some time.

The Deuce Coupe was another matter altogether.  I hunted the Internet until I finally found one at GHQ (www.ghqmodels.com).  It's a kit with "pewter" metal parts.  It came with full fenders and running board.  That's NOT what Graffiti had.  So, I asked GHQ if they knew of anyone who had removed the fenders and running board from their model so I could use that as a guide.  No luck, although the instructions actually HAD a picture of a fenderless roadster on it (but there were a lot of other changes for that model -- different front and rear wheels, a windshield frame, radiator/hood support -- so this may have been a different kit altogether).  GHQ suggested I might want to practice on something else before messing with my kit.  Gee, you gotta practice on SOMEthing; why not the kit?  So, I did.  I couldn't figure how to get the front fenders like Graffiti's (basically motorcycle fenders, and I could not get down to that level of detail).  I just cut off the running boards with a Dremel tool and bobbed the fenders a little. 

My biggest problem was that I dropped the steering wheel when I tried to clamp it in a clothespin to paint it.  I still haven't found it, so I have not glued the body on!  Maybe the steering wheel will show up!

I'll include photos of Graffiti's Deuce Coupe. the GHQ Deuce, and my model (with the '55).  See what you think!  Now, mine is a Flathead, not a 327 Chevy; it doesn't have headers, but I'd like to consider putting them on; etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment