Sunday, September 8, 2019

The Social Conundrum

So, my Granddaughters pointed out that the racial mix of the Blacktop Crossing may not be a good reflection of the population in Rock Hill during the early 1950's.  I guess I would have to agree and, in fact, felt a bit guilty when it was pointed out.

Frankly, I only knew of one African-American on the layout:  the cotton wagon driver.

At first I was pleased that I had included an African-American, but then I reflected on the somewhat menial position of the wagon driver.  However, that role might certainly be reflective of the times.  And, I'm pretty sure I had a choice in that guy's complexion.

In any case, I felt a need to include more African-Americans, so another logger (pulp-wooder in this case) was added to the layout.


Granted, he's in the distance and the slightly out-of-focus and even maybe imaginary unicorn is in the way.  But this role is again reflective of the situation of the era.  In fact, one of my favorite picture is this one:

It brings back many memories of my youth -- the pine woods, pulpwooding as a business, the almost derelict "bobtail" trucks used by the pulpwooders. . . and the hardworking crews that logged many Southern pulp and paper mills.

So, I went against my Granddaughters' advice and repainted a figure to be African-American and put him at the pulpwood yard.
The skin color may be a bit on the dark side, but in placing this figure, lo and behold, I found another African-American on the site!

Not that many African-American figures are available, so I may have maxed out.  I thought about a textile mill worker, but my understanding is that no African-Americans were working in the mills in 1956.  Maybe a downtown figure might be available. . . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment