Friday, January 23, 2015

The 'Baccer Barn

I couldn't help myself.  Paul kept sending me suggestions and structures; I figured ONE more structure on the layout couldn't hurt.  Besides, I already have a kit to make a few dozen tobacco plants, so a tobacco barn needs to show up somewhere.  And, the layout is in South Carolina in the 1950's.  I had settled on a board and batten structure until Paul showed me the Clever Bros Tool Shop.  It was corrugated metal.  I decided to change my mind. . . . The prototype would be something like this:
The Tool Shop had too many windows and doors, so some Paint"ing" was called for.  Also, the lean-to on the Tool Shop would need to be eliminated.  A stone foundation might look good, from Clever Bros Creeky Roofing file.  With most of this pieced together (except the stone) on one sheet then cut out, it looked like this:

Don't know why the floor and stiffener from the Tool Shop came over as one piece; I guess I wasn't thinking too well.  Also used the stone illustration to make a "hearth" to give us smoke cured tobacco.  Hard to round everything off in stone, but maybe from a distance it will look OK.  Used some plastic rod that would be about 6", scale, to hold up the roof on the front -- gets pretty hot when you're stringing tobacco to put in the barn, I guess the shade is important.  Need to paint the rods, probably add steps for the door (really should have cut the door into the stone foundation, but wasn't thinking ahead), do a little color work on the bottom (white) side of the roofing.  Are we close enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment